This is such a fun and easy kids craft, and science experiment. If you are looking for a simple Valentines day craft that will sure to keep the kids entertained, not only is this a fun craft it also doubles as a fun science experiment.
2 cups water
¼ cup Borax detergent booster
Chenille stems, 1 for each crystal
Wide mouth jar or glass
Thread or thin string
- To create the crystal structure from a chenille stem, twist one chenille stem into a heart shape.
- Attach a string to hang the chenille stem in the jar.
- Place borax powder in the wide mouth jar.
- In a medium stock pot, bring the water to a boil. Slowly pour the water into the jar. Pour slowly to allow the jar temperature to adjust so it does not crack. Stir the mixture until all of the borax powder is dissolved.
- Carefully drop the chenille stem into the borax solution and attach the string to a popsicle stick so that the chenille stem hangs in the middle of the jar without touching the edges or bottom.
- Crystals will begin forming as the mixture cools. Crystals will form on the chenille stem in as little as two hours. For best results, avoid disturbing the chenille stems for 24 hours.
- Remove the chenille stems from the jar and allow to dry completely.
- Use the thread to hang the chenille stems or cut the string if desired.
NOTE: Borax should always be handled by an adult, please use cation when working with it and wash your hands well following any use of borax.