Christmas Crate Train

Christmas Crate Train

christmas-crate-train

MATERIALS:

1. Wood Crates  (I used appx 18″ x 12″)
  2. Dollar Store Tins (Lids needed)
  3. Spray Paint (outdoor rated) Green, White and Red
  4. Dollar Store Christmas decorations
  5. Hot Glue
  6. Acrylic Paint (red)
  7. Saw
  8. Chain (used to connect the train cars)
  9. Screws and drill

DIRECTIONS:

Begin by spray painting your dollar store lids and your crates, once dry you can paint your red stripes on the lids with acrylic paint. Adhere the lids to each crate using screws. For the Engine we cut one crate in half and stacked it on top of another crate (hot glue or screw to the other crate). We used another tall tin for the smoke stacks, adhering with glue. Lastly Hot glue on your other Christmas decorations and attach each crate together using chain.

christmas-crate-train-14 christmas-crate-train-13 christmas-crate-train-12 christmas-crate-train-11 christmas-crate-train-10 christmas-crate-train-9 christmas-crate-train-8 christmas-crate-train-7 christmas-crate-train-5 christmas-crate-train-4 christmas-crate-train-3 christmas-crate-train-2 christmas-crate-train-1

*This post contains affiliate links*

Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, Disclosure, Disclaimer

1. Hilda

Love love this creative idea! I’m so going to make this. But what is the lids used for I don’t see it being used in the picture? But I absolutely love it!

1. Hilda

I see what the lids are used for omg if only I zoomed in a little better it’s a cleaver idea.

🙂 Thank you so much hun!

Hi there, thank you so much! The lids are for the wheels on the train 🙂

1. Brandie

Are the lids plastic?

on this train they are metal lids but I have used wood discs on another train and those also worked very well.

3. Theresa

The wheels

2. Kat

This would be great to use as a gift holder around your tree. You could sit your tree on something to elevate it a little, and the place the train in front. So cute!

1. Bobbi

That’s what I want it for! I decorate with a gingerbread/candy theme, and have a ton of gingerbread plush. Could fill with gifts and the plush gingerbread!!!

3. Sandra leonard

What size crates are they.

Hi there, the crates are appx 18″ x 12″ 🙂

4. Deanna Mudloff

What is the steam stack made from on the front of the train?

1. Deanna Mudloff

Nevermind, just re-read the directions

5. Cindy

Which way do you cut the engine crate. I don’t see that

Hi there, you cut the crate down the center, the long side is 18″ and you cut at appx at the 9″ mark – I have created a video that helps show this a little better here –> https://youtu.be/3bj8Px0ghp0

6. Carol

What size tins did you use for the lids to be the wheels

1. Carol

Also how long is the chain between the cars

Hi there, the chain itself is appx 20″ (each end wraps through the handles of 2 crates, giving a 2″-3″ span between the crates).

1. Carol

so is it one continuous chain running thru all cars or did you have the chain cut just to connect two cars

I have it cut into lengths just to connect 2 cars at a time 🙂

Hi there, the lids are appx 10″ rounds

7. Brisa

Cute, what size tins for the lids.. hm $16.00 wonder if stove burner covers would be cheaper 🙂

Hi there, the lids are appx 10″ rounds …. if you can purchase stove burners cheaper or in a package they would probably work great as well 🙂

8. Lan

Can children sit inside the train for photos?

Hi there, the crates used would fit very small children, however I dont know how well they would sit in it (possibly sit on their knees). If you found a little bit larger crates it would work better for them to sit in. 🙂

9. Bonnie Braswell

Where did you get the crates from?

10. Karen Rickard

FI, rather than cutting a crate in half, they also sell half size crates. I recently saw them in Michael’s.

11. Suzie

This is such a cute idea!! I think I will be making this for walkway leading up to our house. I never know what to put there and this will fit perfectly.

Thank you so much for the video. It answers a lot of questions for me.

12. Jeanette waynick

Where can I find these crates, I live in KY, I love this idea, blessings

Hi there, I purchase mine from a local Walmart or craft store 🙂

13. helen

love the simplicity you have created

14. Chyanna

How big are the tin lids?

They are appx 12″ round

15. Brittany

how many cans of spray paint did you use?

On this train I used 1 can of each (1- white, 1- green and 1-red) but depending on how thick you apply the paint it may require more 😉

16. LA Veta collins

Hello

In one comment the lids are 10 inches and then the next comment they are 12 inches which.is it????

I greatly apologize for the confusion I have made a couple of these trains, I have one I had indoors and another outdoors, one of them has 10″ wheels and another has 12″ wheels on it. So either size works and looks great on it. I even made a Halloween train and made a larger wheel for the back of the engine piece and it looks really neat. You can see it here—> http://www.thekeeperofthecheerios.com/2017/09/halloween-haunted-express-crate-train.html

17. Megan Habbersett

Hi!!!! love this idea I’m going to try it this year. What kind of weather do you get? bc we get lots of freezing rain and snow where I live, how would this stand up in that kind of weather?

Hi there, Thank you so much. We tend to have a mixture, last winter we had a couple feet of snow all winter and it was still in one piece by the time we put it up after the holidays. It did pretty well, however if you are able to keep it under a covered area it will last a lot longer or we also made one just to go around our Christmas tree in the house and filled it with gifts 😉

18. Penny

Hello,

I just love the Christmas Train and the Halloween Train. What Brand/Amp was the Mini Circular saw that you used?

Hi there thank you so much! It is a Dremel, find it here—> http://amzn.to/2yjMOMq