Dancing Spider Races

Directions

1. Lay out your aluminum foil, fold at the edges to keep water in
  2. Using a NEW dry erase marker, draw on your spiders
  3. Slowly pour water around the spiders
  4. Let the spiders lift off the foil
  5. Blow into your straws at the spiders to help them float down the foil

NOTE: New markers work the best, the fresh ink allows you to get a good thick layer of ink down. I tried using an older marker that still worked well but it did not lift off, when I opened a new marker with fresh ink it worked great!

NOTE: if you place your foil at an incline the spiders will float down faster, be sure to have water covering your foil to help them float. After your first set of races simply dry your foil off at the top, redraw your spiders and start again.

UPDATE! After several requests I tried to pinpoint what may cause problems when re-creating the spider races, I found that the dry erase marker can NOT be washable, only the standard markers work (I tested many brands and found no issues, however I did have the best luck with Expo dry erase). Also some brands of aluminum foil do not work as well, if you find you are having issues making them float first test out your markers, try it on a piece of glass or smooth ceramic plate, if they float on a plate or glass and not on the foil your issue is the foil, if it does not work on the glass then it is the brand of marker you are using (and remember the marker needs to be new, if it is not I found more issues with getting the spiders to lift)

This post may contain affiliate links

1. Patty Marburger

What kind of pen is it you used? It looks like fun. How did you come up with it?

1. Michelle

It’s called a dry erase marker.

2. Patty Marburger

How did you come up with that,and what kind of pen was used to make the spiders move?

Hi there, I used a New dry erase marker for the spiders, I have seen in the past where someone took a dry erase marker and drew a stick figure on a ceramic plate and made him dance with water, so we decided to take it one step further for Halloween and make spiders, we tested it out on foil and it worked great so we did spider races 🙂

3. janey

ok thats funny

4. Gina

Did not work at all! So sad.

Make sure your marker is new and is a dry erase. Also you might try it on glass or a ceramic plate to see if you have better luck, it could possibly be the brand of foil you are using 😉 just a few ideas to try out 😉

5. Megan

Can you repeat this again after the foil has been wet? Or does it need to be dry? Thanks

It will need to be dry. We just took a towel and dried off a small portion at the top (we where working on a slight incline so most of the water was slowly running down ) and started again. We did several races before the foil got pretty bumpy from repeated use 🙂 😉

6. Vironica Davis

Thank you .I can help my grandkids have some fun!

7. Judy

Does it matter whether the water is warm or cold?

I tried it both ways and it worked with cold and warm water.

8. Judy

Ok so I did a trial run before taking it outside with the kids. I followed the instructions and used a new Expo dry erase pen and slowly poured the water around the spider. I have tried it with warm tap water and cool tap water and neither spider is lifting at all. Any suggestions?

Hi there, I used a couple different brands of dry erase and found some work better than others, it might either be the brand of aluminum foil possibly or the brand of marker. I would test out on a piece of glass or ceramic plate to see if you can make the spider lift off on one of those if not than I would guess the issue might be the brand of marker. If it does work on the glass or plate than it might possibly be the brand of aluminum. Just a few ideas to try out. 😉

9. Amanda

I think the trick is that you need a dry erase marker with an oil based ink. It is the oil trying to get away from the water that makes the ink float. I did something very similar for my daughter’s pre-k Valentine’s party last year. We drew hearts and blew through the straws to make them move around in the water. Unfortunately, I can’t recall which brand of dry erase marker we used.

Hi there, I found as long as it does Not say washable all brands I tried worked (not sure if they where an oil base or not, but that does make sense 😉 )

10. Jenny

What brand of foil did you use?
    What brand of dry erase?
    Great idea!
    Thanks

Hi there, I used Reynolds wrap for the foil and Expo for the dry erase 😉

11. Jo

Great activity, however not really practical if you have to use a brand new dry eraser. Even when I did that, I still found it didn’t work

Thank you so much! Yes you are correct, if you are doing this project on a regular basis it would not be practical at all. However I have found it will work with ones that are fairly new still as long as the ink flows well, and it must be a NON- Washable dry erase. If they are washable dry erase it does not work 😉