DOLLAR STORE CLAY POT PATRIOTIC BUGS
Simple Dollar Store clay pots and doilies create the cutest Fourth of July bugs!
- Clay Pots, 2.5” – Dollar Store
- Chenille Stems, Tinsel – Dollar Store
- Pom Poms, Tinsel, Large and Small – Dollar Store
- Wiggle Eyes – Dollar Store
- Paper Doilies – Dollar Store
- Buttons – Star Shaped
- Craft Paint – Light Pink, White, Blue, Red
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Pencil with new Eraser
- Black Marker
- Gather all supplies. Remove the paper tag from the clay pots. Base coat one clay pot in each color, red, white, and blue. Let dry and apply a second coat, if necessary.
- Cut the chenille stems into four-inch sections, bend in half and then attach a large pom pom to each end with a glue gun and glue sticks. Insert antennae in the hole at the top of the clay pot.
- Add a face to the clay pot bug with wiggle eyes, a small pom pom nose and then draw on a smile with a black marker. Accent mouth with cheeks created by dipping a new pencil eraser in the light pink paint.
- Create wings by cutting a triangle from each round doily with scissors. Gather the opposite end and attach to back of the clay pot bug with the glue gun.
- Attach a star shaped button to each patriotic bug with the glue gun. Accent the base of each bug with contrasting polka dots created by dipping a new pencil eraser in the paint and dabbing carefully.
This is a great craft to use up what you have. Paint white round doilies with blue and red craft paint. Heart shaped doilies would work as well. Use star shaped rhinestones, sequins or create your own accent using aluminum foil!
This is a fun activity to keep the kiddos busy with counting and motor skills. Create these cute patriotic clay pot bugs in just about 30 minutes!