Strawberry cake mix with ingredients to make cake OR your favorite homemade strawberry cake
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 pounds strawberries, divided
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 (8 ounce) containers frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a large (18×13) rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spritz the paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix together ingredients for cake and pour evenly onto the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, checking for doneness by inserting a toothpick in the middle. When the toothpick returns clean, remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, hull and coarsely chop about 1 cup of strawberries.
- Mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Stir in the chopped strawberries. Fold in one container of whipped topping.
- Hull and slice the remaining strawberries, saving a few for garnish if desired.
- Cut cake into squares.
- In the bottom of a trifle bowl, create a layer of cake squares. Over the cake squares, dollop about half of the cream cheese strawberry mixture. Smooth to create an even layer.
- Top the cream cheese layer with a layer of sliced strawberries.
- Repeat the layers once, pressing down the layers if needed.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours prior to serving. May be refrigerate up to two days prior to serving.
- When ready to serve, remove from the refrigerator and top the trifle with the second container of whipped topping, decorating as desired.